LibraryThing is fun. It also sucks me in and could cause me to waste lots of time goofing around with all the gadgets and stuff to read. Since it's all about books, what's not to like? I got a little overwhelmed when I started looking at the groups area. There are so many groups that it's difficult to sort through them all. I thought it was interesting that there was a huge range of popularity to the books I chose. LibraryThing can be useful for RA, once you are familiar with navigating it. I also think the Author Chat area is cool. Lots of people would be interested in using that area, either to chat with an author or to promote their own stuff if they are accepted to host a chat. I also liked the "local" section, which lists all things book within a certain distance of your location. If we promoted LibraryThing, or introduced our patrons to it I believe it would be a big hit with a number of our patrons. It's also an easy way to keep track of what you've read and get ideas for future reads based on titles others have enjoyed.
One of the issues with all of the stuff we use on the web is remembering what's out there and when to use it. I would have to get in the habit of consulting LibraryThing for RA transactions. Right now I would probably think of it when I am at a loss as to what to suggest someone and my usual resources aren't helping me. As I use it more for myself I think it will be easier and more likely for me to use with patrons. I also need to remember to introduce it to some of our regular patrons who would probably like it.
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment