Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thing 10


I think Wikis can be useful because so many different people can add info to them. It can bring different perspectives to a topic that would not otherwise be there if only one person were developing the site. It is also an easy way to put information on the web without having to know a markup language, although there are many free sites now where you can put up a website without using HTML or the like. As with all thing Internet, a wiki is only as useful as you make it. It can either be helpful or a time waster depending on how it's used.

The most interesting thing I found in the readings about wikis is how the name came about. I always wondered where the word "wiki" came from. I don't think banning wikis as a source is a good idea, but I would be perhaps not allow them to be used as an "authoritative" resource. I think they can be good for gathering different ideas and leading people to other sources.I have edited wikis before and it is no problem- very easy. I just went into the wiki sandbox and messed around. I edited the first page.

No comments: